You may need to change your address with the U.S Post Office and have your US mail forwarded to your new mailbox. There are many private companies that offer to do this for you for a fee ranging from $10 to $20. But why pay if you can do the change of address yourself and without the hassle? You can file the change of address online and pay a minimum fee of $1.05 to validate your billing details and make the change securely.

The other option is to visit your nearest U.S Post Office and ask for a change of address form, it is usually available inside Mover’s kit loaded with coupons and discount offers. You will receive a letter confirming the change in a week or two. At that point, all your U.S mail will be routed to the new location!

U.S Virtual Mailbox Address

U.S. Postal Service: Address Change

  • Change Your Address Online  – Make The Change online for a $1.05 fee if you have a credit card and valid e-mail account. You can also complete the form at your nearest U.S post office for free. After completing the process, the U.S. Postal Service will forward your mail to your new Mailbox for up to one year ant no additional charge.
  • Your mail will arrive at your new mailbox location with a yellow sticker overriding the old address.
  • If you complete the actual process, then allow up to 10 days for your mail to be re-routed. Ask your old landlord or new occupant to return the already delivered mail to the post office so they can reroute it.

There may be other federal agencies you may want to notify of the change in order to avoid missing filing deadlines and important communications. Here is a small list of agencies you should notify:

Federal Agencies

  • Internal Revenue Service (PDF)  – Change your location with the IRS if you are expecting a tax refund or other mail. You can also change your address with the IRS by writing your new location in the appropriate boxes on your tax return when you file.
  • Social Security Administration  – If you receive benefits or have Medicare, you can use your mySocialSecurity account to report a change of address. If you don’t receive benefits, contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
  • Department of Veterans Affairs (PDF)  – Change your address if you are a veteran who receives benefit payments or you wish to update your records.
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services  – If you are a non-U.S. citizen who is required to register with USCIS, then you need to let them know if you move.

Main Menu